Busshari

Busshari, an authentic, high quality Japanese experience tucked away at plain sight. When entering you will be warmly greeted by Yuko and her team. Early in the night they set the ambience with classical jazz pumping through their speakers but as the customers arrive the music dies off to allow for casual chatter to fill the restaurant. We were seated at the counter and greeted with a smile by Chef Nobuyuki. With nothing but excitement, I snapped some pics of the place and perused through their menu.


We made an effort to steer away from any typical Japanese dishes but it's hard to ignore our favourites. We started with Agedashi Tofu for two. As it arrived on the table, we marvelled at the bonito flakes dancing in the heat. The tofu was silky smooth as always and paired with a unique gooey sauce (unlike most places that drown it in tentsuyu broth)... it was a perfect balance.


As part of the "fillers" of the night, to which I call dishes that I use to make me full, I chose the Rainbow - a well-prepared assortment of large (a bite and a half) sized pieces of sushi with tuna, king fish, ocean trout, king prawns, cucumber and avocado. The dish was enjoyable but it was from here onwards they really stepped up their game.


We sat and watched Chef Nobuyuki masterfully carve and plate our sashimi platter. I enjoyed his professionalism as he double checks the dishes before sending them out.


Our Chef's Selection of Sashimi Plate arrives and it was a masterpiece. I noticed many customers dining in opting for this as well... and who can blame them.


Served before us was a selection of scampi, tuna, scallop, salmon, squid, kingfish, alfosino and ocean trout. As we scrambled to snap photos of the dish, I was salivating with excitement.


I hate cliches about sashimi but you WILL get piece after piece of melt in your mouth sashimi. It was hard to decide which one I liked more.


If you're a lover of excellent, fresh sashimi then I highly recommend sampling this. You won't regret it.


Yuko, Manager of Busshari, was more than helpful with suggestions which led me to my next two orders. Firstly, a serving of Toro Nigiri Sushi. Toro is the underbelly of the blue fin tuna and like beef it's graded by the marbling of the meat. A high quality piece of toro will be pail pink with rich white streaks. The meaty texture of raw tuna combines with the fat of the belly to create a buttery sensation in the mouth, with the flesh of the tuna melting as you eat it. This is a definite must try for all nigiri lovers.


We also tried their Sea Urchin Nigiri (two pieces). Sea Urchins, usually found amongst corals, are those sharp, spiky and poisonous things you see when snorkelling and can really dampen a trip if you accidentally step on it. Urchin actually refers to hedgehog, of which it resembles. What's actually plated is the sex organs of the sea urchin. It might seem a bit off-putting but once you get over the image, you'll enjoy the under water delicacy that offers a mouth-watering buttery and creamy texture... wrapped in a smokey tasting Nori.


To end the night, I have to definitely recommend their Pumpkin Creme Brûlée - with a side of mochi and coffee syrup. The Pumpkin brûlée was light and creamy... very smooth on the palate. I loved that it came out cold and the side of mocha with coffee syrup was subtle but paired perfectly. The only slight let down was no thick caramelised sugar topping and that satisfying cracking sound. Other than that it was deliciously moreish.


With the drinks, my wife and I could not agree so we sampled some sake and beer. She ordered their Bishonen "Beautiful Boy" sake with a high sweetness rating.  It was easy to drink with a sweet and savoury taste to it. We're both quite unsophisticated sake drinkers, still very new to scene but enjoyed it very much.


One of the theatrical highlights was having the tray of cups brought to the table. I loved the little touches that make the meal stand out.


I ordered their Yebisu All Malt Beer... a large 500ML bottle at $18. A glorious simple and clean beer that pours out golden with a medium, white head... which fades relatively quickly. It was refreshing with only a mild dryness. The beer is two standard drinks so if you're driving, I recommend you share. We definitely over-ordered our drinks that night and my wife did her best in polishing off all the alcohol.



The decor is a combination of sophisticated dark woods, mismatched plates, high chairs and playful white lanterns that give an impression of dining under the moon. 



I have to highly commend the customer service. They were efficient, polite, well mannered and non intrusive throughout the meal. It was a nice balance of being helpful and not too in-your-face. All the orders came out in a timely manner and you were made to feel welcomed and not rushed to eat and leave. Despite being busy the service was sufficient and attentive.



Sydney is now over-populated with non Washoku Japanese foods where you can save a buck or two... but if you're after an authentic experience that will delight your palate with sophistication then I'd highly recommend Busshari.... and if that isn't enough rumour has it Nicole Kidman has been seen dining here. I just wanted to to thank Yuko (Manager of Busshari) and Yuri (Washoku Lovers) for their invitation to sample their amazing selection.

WASHOKU LOVERS

If you are not already a member of Washoku Lovers, and I don't know why you wouldn't be, then I definitely recommend going to their page and signing up. They offer many perks at an ever growing list of Japanese restaurants.

In the case of Busshari, you can enjoy a free green tea ice-cream.

Sign Up Here


Click to add a blog post for Busshari Authentic Japanese Restaurant on Zomato

2 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

woah the toro looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Yep! It tasted every bit as good as it looked!

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos