Mappen

In collaboration with Mappen Bondi Junction and Washoku Lovers, I was invited along with my wife to sample what they have to offer.

It was great to meet up with people in the community that also loved Japanese food as much as we do. My wife and I both agree that if we were given the ultimate choice to dine on one cuisine we'd both easily choose Japanese (despite neither of us being Japanese). The variety of food choices is wide and definitely enough to keep life interesting.

Mappen Bondi Junction is quite unique. It brings together the menus of Mappen, Oiden and Tenkomori... all in one location. The other thing it offers is the serving of alcohol meaning a nice selection of Japanese alcoholic beverages from Orion Draft Beer to warm Sake.

I was talking with Yuri (Managing Director of Washoku) about my exchange program in high school where I had an opportunity to travel to Japan.... and recalling an unpleasant experience with Natto... to which she notices that this place stocks it. It's not everyday you can get your hands on Natto... nor would you be looking for it. Natto is made from fermented soybeans and trust me on this one... it's an acquired taste.


It has a strong smell, slimy and sticky texture and quite a pungent taste. Yuri informs me that even the Japanese have trouble eating it. The natto comes in a small styrofoam container... and before you open it and dive right it.. it is recommended to give it a good stir. 10-20 times (until it gets sticky and stringy) might be sufficient but Yuri explains that stirring it 100 times increases the polyglumatic acids which is good for health. Also garnish the natto with some chopped chives... and pair it with some rice. 


Everyone's favourites has to be their large selection of tempura options. We sampled a small dish. The batter was light and fresh just the way it should be.


On offer is their Sake set made up of warm Sake, Edamame and Gyoza. My wife smashed through the edamame with sake pairing. The set worked harmoniously together with the flavours just complimenting so well (like their Japanese version of beer and nuts)... I've never been a fan of warm Sake... but I think I might have been converted.


The weather outside was chilly as the sun decided not to come out that day... and the wind hurtling through the street did not help. It really drove up the cravings for a nice warm bowl of ramen... and that's exactly what I opted for.


My Tonkotsu Deluxe - hot noodles with Tonkotsu soup, sliced stewed pork, bamboo shoot, black garlic and seaame oil, pickled mustard, green and sesame seed. Given the choice to be different, I went for an udon noodle. The absence of egg and nori (which can be purchased separately) were the least of its worries as the ramen itself was quite average. Possibly it could have been my own undoing with the udon combo... but it just felt like the broth didn't have the necessary punch or sophisticated flavours that is presented at the more ramen focussed restaurants.

I also got a little serving of ghost chilli oil (which was heavily advertised) and it really gave a nice kick to the soup.


Despite the cold weather... nothing can turn my wife off her love for rice dishes... to which she satisfied her cravings with a BBQ Wagyu Beef Rice Bowl - 120grams of grilled slice wagyu beef, original BBQ sauce, coleslaw, sesame seed and pickled ginger on rice. For me, this dish just worked well. The flavours all worked well separately and worked even better together. The beef was tender and most importantly there was enough sauce to compliment the meal. 


For dessert, two servings of Daifuku - essentially mochi with a sweet filling.


My wife went for the more traditional red bean option. The red bean filling was pleasant but didn't compare to the one I chose.


I went for the Black Sesame flavoured option... because that's the pure Asian in me. I've always loved black sesame, from soups to candy. The mochi was gooey and soft and the black bean was smooth and just melted in your mouth... so sweet... so delicious... I could do with another one right now.


What I loved about this place is it really brings the feel of a Japanese Hawker style where I can grab different elements that work well together all under one roof.... and even enjoy a beer on the side. In saying that... I think that's how they feel about themselves by how the restaurant is decorated and themed. 

Despite a heavily Japanese theme running through the place... it was done well, ver polished and not tacky. I love the effort gone into keeping the ambience true to the food.



For those who haven't been to Mappen here's a quick run down on how it all works. Firstly you grab a tray from the order counter and pick your choice of rice, udon, ramen or soba from the menu. It's frowned upon to reserve seats before you order so please refrain from doing so.


The next part is the best part... add as many topping as you like, they have a wide choice of tempura everything for you to pick at your leisure...


They even have a small refrigerated section where you can pickup the Natto (if you like to try) or a massive range of other sides with your meal.... now you have an excuse to go all Hungry Hungry Hippo with extras...



Lastly, you pay (Cash Only), for your meal. Then there's a small counter of condiments, chilli flakes and garnishes you can put on with no extra charge. Even complimentary self serve water.

Last but not least, when you finish your meal, place all your bowls, plates, cups and cutlery and return it back them on a tray at the tray return area. A simple task to do and it helps keep the prices low. 


Mappen Bondi Junction is literally a stone throw away from Bondi Junction Westfields. I personally love that it's not inside as there is quite a bit of street parking close by without the need to fight for spaces inside a busy Westfield's parking lot.


WASHOKU LOVERS

My final thanks goes to Washoku Lovers for inviting me to do this review. If you love Japanese food, then there's no excuse not to sign up for a Washoku Lover's Membership Card... it's 100% FREE. Plus at all participating Washoku Lover restaurants (and there's plenty of them) you can get amazing deals.. like the one below for Mappen... A mini salad, mini Kake Udon, mini Ontama Bukkake Soba, mini Japanese Rice Curry and an Original Drink all for a crazy price of $9.90 when you show your membership card. Thanks Yuri for the great perks!

Sign Up Here


Washoku Lovers also has a great event coming up soon. It's essentially a Hands on Japanese Cooking Class with Raita Noda (head chef at Ocean Room and now owner of Raita Noda in Surry Hills) , a 7 course meal (using Osawa Wagyu @ $150 a kilo) paired with Sake by Andre Bishop, free drinks on arrival, a Gift Bag to take home and 2 winners on each session with get $77 worth of vouchers to use at the partnered restaurants. Find out more information HERE on how to buy tickets.

Would I do Mappen @ Bodi Junction again... definitely... I love how it's such a nice balance of food, drink, atmosphere,convenience and price.

Click to add a blog post for Mappen Noodle Bar on Zomato

1 comments:

Brunch on Joy said...

Great pics. I love their udon noodles!

 

About

I suddenly feel the tides turning. A yearn for something better in my life. I'm hoping for big changes in my career, maybe the touch of my first born and the ongoing rollercoaster of my marriage.

It feels important enough to dedicate a few minutes of my days to etch out how it is through my eyes... just so one day I can flick through and reminisce

Passions

Likes - Burgers | Tennis | Chilli Sauce | Travelling | Singing | Photography | Underground Bars | Gumtree | Family Guy | Table Tennis | Weird Snacks | Bowling | Smell of Fresh Bread | Board Games | Vintage Signs | Poker | Ebay | RnB | Stand Up | Travelling | Hard Liquor

Collects - New Era Caps | G-Shocks | Vans | Onitsuka Tigers | Converse | Shot Glasses | Ray-Bans

Travelled - Philippines | Bangkok | Phuket | Singapore | Bali | Hong Kong | Macau | Hisai | LA | New York | Oregon | Paris | London | Barcelona | Rome | Florence | Vancouver | Seattle | Victoria | Queensland | Tasmania

Dislikes - Bitter Melon | Traffic Jams | Rain | Bad Beats | Going with the Flow | Australia Post | Invicta | Scary Movies | Rollercoasters | Heights

Meet The Author

I've spent my whole life being the son my parents wanted me to be. I studied hard, went through the different levels of the school system and then I'm now 30. I married a beautiful girl, trying to pay off a mortgage, and have a bucket list of things I want to do which don't involve work.

I've always had a passion for blogging, photography, food, collecting aka organised hoarding and music and I can't think of any better moment to start documenting it...

My Videos @ https://vimeo.com/user34622152/videos